Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Scones for tea!

Today I tried 2 recipes from Bill's Basics: scones for afternoon tea, and the butterscotch madeleines for tonight's dessert.


I found 2 brand new patty cake pans and madeleine moulds, still wrapped in plastic, which I bought ages ago, in a storage box in the kitchen. I'm so glad I was able to find madeleine pans with a non-stick coating, because the mini madeleine pan I used some time ago, which isn't non-stick, still has cake bits stuck fast to it, I'm sure.



I made the plain, sweet version of the scones, and had them with strawberry jam and double thick cream. And let's face it - anything with cream is good.






I think these are the puffiest scones I've ever made; this is definitely a much improved version of the scone recipe in one of his older books. They are delish served warm straight from the oven.



The butterscotch madeleines were soft and light in texture. I used glucose syrup instead of golden syrup, as I didn't have any of the latter in the pantry. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the golden skin on the indentation side always sticks to the pan, so you can't really see the design on the biscuits. Maybe I should slather on heaps of butter to grease the pans next time, and see if that makes a difference...


Cake + icing sugar + cream = :)







No comments:

Post a Comment