Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The revenge of the tension square...

I've finally gotten around to uploading a photo of the Anthro-inspired scarflet I knitted for mum in Katia Dulce yarn (50% wool/50% acrylic). As the scarf made with the 10 ply BFL ply yarn just fits around the neck, I decided to increase the length of the second scarf by a few centimetres, because the Katia yarn is chunkier. You can probably tell by the photo that it's quite a snug fit. Mum loves it.

A current work in progress is the Bergere de France Origin' Collection #1 Bambou 03 pattern - a 3/4 sleeve V-neck top with a pretty bow and pleat feature. As the name suggests, the pattern was designed to be made with Origin' Bambou yarn. Instead, however, I've decided to substitute this with Sublime's Bamboo and Pearls DK yarn, as I really, really wanted to try out this yarn. Being quite lazy and used to not having to knit tension squares for smaller projects, I didn't bother with the tension square. As a result, measuring what I've knitted of the back piece now, the vertical dimensions are correct, but the horizontal dimensions are out by about...5cm (I know, I know, I totally should have seen it coming). Judging from the picture in the pattern though, it's not meant to be tight-fitting; in fact, on the model, it's quite loose around the arms and shoulders. I am hoping this means that by reducing the horizontal dimensions, I'll actually achieve a well-fitting garment *fingers crossed*. This is also the first large-sized project I'm attempting, (normally I choose small projects like beanies, shrugs, scarves..) so if this works out, maybe I'll have a new knitting direction.
I've recently added more yarn to my stash. I bought the Debbie Bliss Luxury Donegal Tweed online to knit a tabard-style top that I saw in a knitting magazine. The rest of the yarn was bought at a yarn sale at a local homewares/craft store. The plan is to use the red Patons Zhivago to knit another Anthro scarflet; ditto for the mint Moda Vera Chantilly (yes, I like it that much); the Cleckheaton Studio Mohair is for Louisa Harding's Juliet Scarf (it's 8 ply, but hopefully it will still be ok!); and the Cleckheaton Nautico is going to be used to knit leg warmers from the pattern book of the same name, by Jo Sharp. With only one month left of Winter, I've got to knit fast!




No comments:

Post a Comment