Monday, August 9, 2010

Tension, tension, tension.

Ok, so it seems that I will postpone my plan of intensive baking and continue with my knitting (just had another flip through my knitting magazines and was struck anew by the attractive and (supposedly) simple Spring knits!). I'm about to start knitting Laura Cruickshank's Paige top - tabard-style top - from issue 29 of Let's Knit, and this time, I decided I will knit a tension square :P I've always been under the impression that my tension is a bit on the loose side, but it seems, from this tension square, that it's the other way round. The dimensions I get, when flattening the square out as much as I can, is about 9.5cm x 9.5cm, instead of the requisite 10 x 10! There are perceivable gaps between the stitches as is - though I guess it could be because the yarn is a bit slubby - so I don't know how holey the fabric will be with an even looser tension! Oh well, we'll see I guess! I wonder if the wrong horizontal dimensions to my Bergere de France knit is due to too-tight-a tension...

I am resisting the urge to purchase more yarn to knit Sian Brown's Spring cropped top from issue 46 of Knit Today. I love the lemon colour of the modelled top, so I think I will stick with that colour when I order the yarn. It's so sunshiney and looks like the perfect Spring top! In Summer, one could wear this without layering too. The leaf lace pattern neckline in Sian Brown's Leaf Lace Top looks very pretty too, but I'm not sure about the shape of it or the cropped length. I think it would look nice with a normal-to-slightly long length, worn with a fashion belt. If cinching at the waist was intended, I'd emphasise that more, or else it would look like an edge pattern that's travelled too far up. I'll have to think about this one.

I'm off to find yarn sources!

No comments:

Post a Comment