Thursday, July 22, 2010

Recently completed knitting projects


Project: Arm warmers
Yarn: Lincraft Cosy Wool (100% wool)
Pattern source: Lincraft Winter Yarn

I finished knitting these arm warmers yesterday. As you can probably tell by the photo, one arm warmer is a bit darker in colour than the other. This is because I actually started knitting the first arm warmer last year, and when I got around to doing the second arm warmer just recently, I was unable to find more of the same yarn in my stash (although I'm pretty sure I bought enough yarn for both last year!). As such, I had to buy another ball, which is obviously from a different dye lot.
These are pretty warm, and I love how the cuff is flared. My sister did comment, however, that they look a bit like workers gloves! Never mind that she wants me to knit her a pair as well!


Project: Beanie for Him in 1x1 Rib
Yarn: Patons Jet (30% Alpaca/70% Wool) in shade 1
Pattern Source: Patons Beanies in Merino Totem DK & Jet 12 ply

Shown in the picture above is the beanie I recently finished knitting for my dad. This is the most masculine colourway I've worked with so far - it's good to know there are guy-friendly colours available out there, besides your typical solid black, greys, and blues. An easy knit, I finished this beanie in about 2-3 days. The result was a thick, soft beanie.

I've recently also completed a batch of cute-as beanies for the premmies at a local hospital. Hopefully the sizing is okay and the hospital doesn't have any rules about not allowing embellishments on the beanies, etc. It's a bit weird that the hospital foundation's manager wants to meet me, but I guess that way I'll be able to get instant feedback.

An article I read in a knitting magazine a while ago about KasCare's 'Knit-A-Square' project really caught my eye. I'm really interested in contributing to this worthy cause, but I think by the time I get to knitting items for this charity, Winter in South Africa will be over already :P I guess there's no harm in starting now and stocking up on things to ship off next year. Check out the charity's official website at http://www.knit-a-square.com/

Winter for some reason, like Christmas, evokes a feeling of charity in most of us. For me, when the chill sets in, I think about the 'Little Match Girl' story, and am reminded of how many real life children there are out there stricken with poverty, and without clothes to keep them warm through the cold seasons of the year. As I am not financially able to support the needy, I intend to use my hobby of knitting to do so. I encourage all knitters to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment