Thursday, April 25, 2013

Exercising the brain

I walked past a Riot Art and Craft store the other day and couldn't help myself but pop in to have a browse. I have been drawing since I could pick up a pencil, but haven't had time to do a lot of it in recent years. Looking at all the art supplies in the shop made me feel like waking up the creative side of my brain again, so I decided to buy a new set of Derwent soft graphic pencils and pick up a new, convenient A4-sized art diary, so that I could easily carry it out and about to draw in, when inspiration strikes. I dug out some of my other supplies when I got home too, which includes the tin of 72 Derwent Studio pencils that my mother bought me when I was about 12 (don't ask how many years ago that was)! Several of those pencils are only half their original size now, but they're all still intact and none of the set are missing, so I'm quite proud of myself for having maintained them so well. The coloured, coated ends of the wooden barrels are a bit cracked now, but I'm sure the pencil cores should still be fine. 

I'm no longer a regular diary writer, so I'm trying to develop my skills in expressing emotions through my drawings instead. It's not quite as easy as doing it in writing - for me, anyway - especially since I'm used to drawing mainly still life, so that's something I have to work on, to evolve as an artist. I will get cracking on this once I get my hands on some blender and burnisher pencils. (Queen of Procrastination; that's my title.) 



Meanwhile, I have received the copy of Marc Levy's 'Et si c'était vrai' that I ordered online a few weeks ago. It's actually much thinner than I thought it would be. I really want to start reading it, but one part of me is nagging me to read 'Le petit prince' first; to not try to run before I learn to walk. Then there are the two Astérix et Obélix comic books that one of my classmates lent me, which I am due to return next week. I'm not big on comics and mangas, but I am told it is a good way to ease myself into French books. 


Well, at least all these activities will keep both sides of my brain occupied for a while! 

Speaking of brain training, have you all read the article in the Daily Mail about the plans of incorporating knitting back into the British National education curriculum? You can read it here. Apparently this idea came about when one of the primary schools found that it helped to improve its students' behavioural, writing and mathematical skills, while encouraging them to talk to each other as opposed to play on their phones. Frankly, I'm most surprised by the fact that primary school-aged children are even allowed to bring proper mobile phones to school. Times have definitely changed. No wonder why so many teenagers these days are so active on social media, but are severely lacking in real-life social skills. 

I knew there was more to knitting than simply being a blissful, tranquil way to pass time. Ah, if only I had started this hobby at a younger age! It will now be my new excuse for not being as 'number-smart' as I could potentially be, as well as for dedicating more time to knitting - not that I need one!




    

No comments:

Post a Comment