Monday, March 4, 2013

Dandelion and Driftwood: A review


Dandelion and Driftwood
 Tea and coffee crafters
Shop 1, 45 Gerler Rd, Hendra Qld 4011
(07) 3868 4559


I went to Dandelion and Driftwood last December for a weekend morning tea with a few friends. I've been meaning to try it out for a while, but the travel distance from the CBD was always a deterrent. This little place is located on a quiet street in a northern Brisbane suburb, where there are only 1 or 2 adjacent shops. It was quite busy when we got there, which is always a good sign. We were shown to the bench along the front shop window. I would find out later that there is also an outdoor dining space behind the shop.

The interior decor is modern with a rustic feel, incorporating elements of nature to, I suppose, reflect the natural connotations of the shop name. The first thing I noticed was the huge dandelion ceiling feature - how funky is that? - and panning my eyes across the room, I saw the countertop with a full spread of various coffee apparatus. Uh huh, this is definitely a cafe serious about its coffee. The waitstaff wore cute bow-ties and a smile, which is always nice to see. 


The drinks menu offers the usual coffee suspects, as well as a list of brew bar options, which utilises the various drips on the counter. We were told that the coffee brewed via these methods are to be consumed black, which makes sense, in order to better taste the difference that the unique brewing methods produce. However, being relatively new to coffee and preferring my coffee with milk, I opted simply for a cappuccino.    


The coffee used was the 'Dandelion Blend'. The information card that was presented with the cups describes the coffee blend thus:

'First up on the dry fragrance you'll experience some toasty caramels and dark cocoa. On the wet aroma, this cup is very clean with sugar browning sweetness. In tasting, the cup displays [the] delicate stone fruit flavour of mariposa plums and cherries that mellow and temper, with a residual sweetness. It showcases a medium body base and has refined yet nippy acidity. It is beautifully balanced and memorable.'


I'm not sure about the stone fruit flavour, but from a consumer point-of-view, I would describe it as being a medium-bodied concoction with an interesting, complex flavour that dances on the palate. I don't normally add sugar to my coffee, but I had to add one cube of sugar to this one to sweeten it, as it was quite strong, but not unpleasantly so. It was definitely a memorable cup and by far one of the most unique blends I've tried thus far. I was also impressed by the coffee art, featuring a swan. What a creative barista!

The various coffee drip apparatus
The food menu was not as exciting or extensive as their coffee counterpart, but the vegetarian frittata that I chose was still lovely. Nothing spectacular, but still nice to eat.


If you're still feeling a bit peckish after your menu order, or if you prefer something sweet, you will find some delectable-looking sweet delights, like cupcakes, slices and cookies, sitting enticingly on cake tiers, behind the glass cabinet at the counter. A word of warning, though: they are not cheap, and you'll be looking at paying around $6 for a cupcake and $4 for a single macaron. There are also little jars of condiments on the shelves below this, which you can purchase to take home with you. Regrettably, I forgot to ask if they sell their blend of coffee beans, but I daresay they probably do. 


I have a new obsession with lemon curd, because a work colleague had introduced me to his take on a French lemon curd recipe last year, which actually produces a result that I like. So, naturally, I decided to try the lemon curd tartlet at the cafe for comparison's sake. It was quite nice; better than those I've had elsewhere, though no tastier than my colleague's. The colour has gotten me quite intrigued though, for the lemon curd that I make is a pale yellow colour that is nowhere near as pigmented as the one I had on my plate. More egg yolks, perhaps? 


It's probably worth mentioning that there is also a coffee cart at the front of the cafe for takeaway coffees, which is a great idea for locals who want to grab a coffee on the go. 


Overall, I think it's a lovely little coffee house, perfect for times when we want to please the coffee connoisseur inside us, or simply for catching up with a friend over coffee and cake. Because of its out-of-the-way location, I can't see myself frequenting this place, but I will definitely return whenever I have the whim to treat my taste-buds to a delicious cup of interesting coffee; and maybe, when I do, and if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll order something from their lab-worthy brew bar. 

 
 
 
 Dandelion & Driftwood on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment