Tuesday, March 12, 2013

FWP

It seems to me that these days, perhaps because of the fast pace of technological and medical advances in our developed countries, people are becoming more and more demanding of society, and a lot of conveniences that they have at their disposal are taken for granted, such that when their every whim has not been met, the world seems to collapse around them. Just like how this has led to the medicalisation of almost every single 'symptom' that could possibly be encountered in a lifetime (e.g. tossing and turning around at night? Restless legs. Problems sleeping? Chronic insomnia. Your child can't concentrate in class? Must be ADHD.), a name has been coined for this particular condition that these people have: First World Problems a.k.a. FWP.  
 
I particularly like Ryan Higa's take on this issue (and the treatments he prescribes!), and although grossly exaggerated for entertainment purposes, I think most of us, though shamefully, can identify with it in some way or another. Here's his YouTube video on it, so that you, too, can enjoy it :) -
 
 


This is obviously not aimed at people diagnosed with clinical depression, but I do believe that sometimes if we stop looking at our problems through a microscope and take a step back to look at the bigger picture, against which they will most likely pale in comparison, we will be able to take on a new, happier perspective of things.

I think of this video now, whenever I am feeling sorry for myself, and, you know what? It makes me feel a whole lot better.



No comments:

Post a Comment