Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Say cheese!

This morning, I whipped out from the fridge the two cheese products that I bought from the Good Food and Wine Show, the weekend before last, to try. It is a fact universally acknowledged that all soft cheeses, especially of the crumbly variety, are in want of crusty, fresh bread as their partner (I'm sure Ms Austen would agree). Hence, for this cheese-eating occasion, I bought a French stick from Coles last night, from their seemingly new freshly-baked-on-the-day, sans preservatives/artificial additives line. 

Bread and cheese, anyone?
Pictured on the left is the Pesto Fetta by High Valley Wine and Cheese, a company based in Mudgee, NSW. The only fetta cheese that I normally buy is the Persian Fetta by Southcape; however, this fetta cheese, which, as its name suggests, is marinated in a blend extra virgin olive oil and vegetable oil that is infused with basil, garlic and pepper, is actually quite delicious as well. This is why it pays to be open-minded about food and to try new products!


The other cheese that I bought is a round of 'King River Gold', produced by the Milawa Cheese Company. This washed rind cheese is a soft cow's milk cheese that tastes similar to Brie. For some reason, it tasted more creamy and delicious when I sampled it at the food show than it does at home. Perhaps I should have left it out to rest at room temperature for even longer before serving?


I feel a bit embarrassed to admit that I had the above bread and cheese for breakfast. But at least I didn't pair it with wine, right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment