Wednesday, June 27, 2012

More yarny goodness!

I've received my parcels of yarn from Hulu and Black Sheep Wools! Yippee! Hulu dispatched their stock first, and it was also the first parcel I received, so kudos to them. The other took a little bit longer to come, but they had a free worldwide shipping promotion, so it negates the slightly slower delivery time factor. I wish they'd always offer free international shipping! Or at least reduce the shipping costs. Hulu and Deramores offer lower shipping prices, but I find I order more from the former, because Deramores, of all the online yarn retailers that I've purchased from, ships the slowest, and slow shipping is generally a deal-breaker for me, being not the most patient person in the world. Both parcels arrived in good condition, despite the dreadful rainy weather we're having here!

Back to the yarn.

The first parcel contained some KnitPro needles and some balls of Sirdar Snuggly DK acrylic/nylon blend yarn. Since I'm knitting beanies for the premmies at the hospital, I have to use manmade fibres, in case the babies are sensitive to certain natural fibres; but sadly, there are few of this type of baby yarn in 8ply available at local craft stores. I looked around in 2 of the biggest craft stores, and only found 1 type of yarn, which only had 2 colours - cream and dark, musky pink - in stock. I was hoping they'd at least carry the baby pink and blue that I bought last year, but nopes. I want to create not just boring beanies, but cute ones in pastel colours, so I decided to get some online.


 Parcel 2 arrived today and contained RYC Siena, which is a 100% mercerised cotton yarn in 4ply (colourway: Pasture (light green shade)). It feels okay for a cotton yarn, so hopefully it will knit up ok too, without untwisting like a lot of cotton yarns seem to like doing. Although the colour is a nice, soft green that is comfortable on the eyes, I'm now a bit iffy about how it will look once knitted up into the jacket. What do you think? (pattern pictures shown below)








Hmm flat knitting in a 4 ply yarn, with 2.75mm, 3mm and 3.75mm needles... This is going to take me forever to make! It's meant to be a Spring pattern, so I'll put it aside and see what happens then! I've still got so many WIPs to attend too. Argh! I need to keep reminding myself to focus on one project at a time! By the way, in the pattern images, the jacket actually looks a bit big on the model. While I get that the shoulders were a bit puffy back in those days, I'm sure the body of the gowns and jackets were (more) fitted. In the front view, the jacket front looks a bit baggy on her, in a non-flattering way. I wonder if she's wearing a size too big or if it's designed to be a very relaxed fit like that... I hope more people knit this and post their notes and pictures up on Ravelry to give me a better idea of what to expect and to let me know if I should make any mods!

No comments:

Post a Comment