Saturday, June 2, 2012

Winter blues

I can't believe it is the weekend, the day of the hospital charity gala ball, and I'm stuck at home sick, in my pyjamas. I've been keeping well this past year, health-wise, but staying up late on cold winter nights always manages to throw me into the arms of illness. Working in a health care setting certainly doesn't help either. I've decided to skip French class today and give up Sunday-rate work tomorrow, as I'm sure the people around me would not appreciate me sharing my germs. I'm still deciding whether or not to go to high tea with my sister tomorrow for the same reason. I have been hoping that my cold will not progress to the stage where my throat hurts to swallow and my nose blocks out my sense of smell and taste, at least until after the ball - African-themed this year, with African food, entertainment and music - and high tea, which is at a popular hightea parlour, highly rated on Urban Spoon.

Attending regular charity events is a great way of supporting our local hospitals, as the funds go towards raising money for medical equipment and important research. The gathering of people from the community in support for these worthy causes also contributes to social solidarity, which I believe is very important to keep human progress up with technology. A lot of people complain about not having the time and the money to go, but no matter how busy you are, you've still got to allocate time to eat, right? As for the ticket price, well, if it was cheap, wouldn't it defeat the purpose of the event, which is to fundraise (and I'd like to point out that one is not obliged to participate in the silent and live auctions - I certainly don't have that kind of money)? Having said that, I accept and totally understand that people may prefer to do charity work in a non-monetary way; something I also do, in the form of charity knitting. It also never ceases to amaze me when people say things like, "Well, what's in it for me?" or "Only if you can promise I'll meet a good-looking doctor there"; perfect examples of exactly WHY we, as a developed country, still have the need to work towards social solidarity. I fail to understand why people are willing to spend thousands of dollars on designer wear and the latest and greatest electronic gizmos (regardless of financial state), but are full of hesitation and resistance when it comes to spending only a small fraction of their dispensable income on the very occasional, selfless cause. If you need another reason to go, well, it's good for your karma and it's a great excuse to dress up and catch up with (charitable) friends as well (sadly, I usually just go with one friend who fits that description), so it's a win-win situation that I recommend to everyone who is working and not knee-deep in financial debt. End of serious rant. (sorry, being sick makes me a bit grouchy)

This particular charity gala is based around different cultures every year, with last year's celebrating British culture. I was worried that we have to dress to the theme, because I've no idea about African fashion, but I was prepared to go all out in bright colourful scarves if need be. Thankfully I called up to check the dress code - it's black tie. Now I'm not exactly the type to buy long formal dresses for a single event, that I am unlikely to have many future wears out of, so for the past black tie charity balls I've been to, I've worn cocktail length dresses. This time was going to be no exception.

My favourite fashion labels are Review and Alannah Hill - both Australian labels, with most of the Review pieces being made in Australia also. Being Australian labels aside (being Australian, I am a proud supporter of Australian brands and products), the reason I love these brands is because their styles, mish-mashed together, very much reflects my own sense of dress; that is, vintage style adapted to modern fabrics, colours and cuts; very feminine and unique. Think frills and knee-length full skirts, floral pencil skirts and bows. I want everything in the store for most collections; too bad price point doesn't allow for that! So naturally when it came to buying a dress for the charity ball, I knew exactly where to go. With the help of the lovely sales assistants at Review - always friendly, honest and helpful - I picked out the Holly dress, which is a limited edition design, available only at 4 stores in the state, a black polka dot overall pattern on bronze sateen, in the classic Review shape of fitted waist with full skirt (a very '50s Audrey Hepburn-esque style). It comes with a thin black belt, but I will wear a satin bow belt to dress it up a bit, and wear a satiny elbow-length cropped black jacket over the dress, which was also picked out at Review to match the dress. I bought 9cm patent leather black pumps from Wittner (another Aussie brand) to wear with it, in my a favourite style (has a 2cm platform at the front, so you can gain the extra height without an uncomfortable, unnatural arch in the foot (compared to other 9cm heels)). To accessorise, I will be wearing a pretty headband from AH, and gorgeous but simple handmade earrings that I bought from We Live Like This (a lovely little shop that sells products made by local designers). Photos to come!

As the dress can be dressed up or down, I can see myself wearing it to other informal events, such as afternoon teas and dinners, as well as to weddings. Meanwhile, you can check out the current pretty Review collection at www.review-australia.com. Try not to drool all over your keyboard ;) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment