Monday, March 24, 2014

Filling in the gaps!

So, I was scrolling through my list of blog posts, in an attempt to find certain knitting notes I might have made previously, and had quite the shock when I saw I had, let's just say, a lot of 'drafts', i.e. unpublished posts. From as far back as 2012. If there are any regular visitors of my humble little blog out there, please forgive me for sometimes posting the start of a project but not showing the final products. I've had so many technical issues in the past 12 months, from running out of picture upload/storage quota on my Google account (integrated with this blogging platform), as well as my Drop Box, to not yet figuring out how to transfer photos from my new, fancy-pants Sony NEX-5T compact system digital camera to my laptop.

It's probably a bit silly to publish the posts from 2 years ago, which are no longer relevant, but I thought it would be nice to 'fill in the (time) gaps' with some of the draft posts I had intended to publish last year. Since it is Autumn here in Australia (according to our calendar at least), today I shall publish my unfinished post from June 2013, as a means to encourage fellow Aussie knitters to take out their ol' click-clacks, even though just thinking about woollens being anywhere near us, in this horrible heat, is probably enough to make us perspire through our forever-summer outfits. Well, in my neck of the woods, anyway.

……………………………………………………………….
Original blog post title: Winter Kn-kni-kni-knitting. Brrr! (dated 7/6/13)

Okay, maybe I'm slightly exaggerating. I'm in Australia, so Winter here is nothing compared with the chilly, snowy Winters in the UK. Still, I do feel that our winters are becoming progressively colder each year. Thankfully, it has been warming up a bit over the last few days though.

With so many yarn fibre options these days, knitted garments can be created and worn all year round. I still find, however, that traditionally being a cold-weather activity, knitting feels most 'right' during the Autumn/Winter months. Besides, I like the warmth that the yarn provides my cold fingers as I work with it. Thus, I find myself most active in this hobby of mine during this season. I finished this year's mini batch of preemie beanies to donate to one of the local hospitals last week, and I've received an email confirmation that they've been passed on to the Neonatal Intensive Care Centre. I love that I can use my hobby to do good and benefit others in society!

[Ah, you see the pretty pink wax seal in the picture below? I think there is probably also a draft post somewhere in my list, all about my venture into the Regency letter-writing world. Stay tuned. (But don't hold your breath.)




Now that that's all done, it's time to turn the focus back to my other knitting projects. As a birthday present to myself this year, I decided to invest in the special edition Symfonie Rose interchangeable needle set by KnitPro, my favourite knitting needle brand. It contains the same set of sizes as my Symfonie Wood Interchangeable Circular Needles Deluxe set, but the birch wood laminate is fashioned to have a rosewood-like finish. Being a special edition, the gorgeous needles come housed in a matching bronze-coloured leatherette box, secured with a latch on one side.

Symfonie Rose Interchangeable Special Edition Needle Set (£70.83 from Deramores)

(Pictured are some other items I got in the same order, from Deramores. I ordered the yarn to top up my preemie hat-making yarn stash.)


New needle set + more of my favourite Clover stitch holders + Deramores Baby DK yarn (in denim blue and blossom pink) + Jesse byLouisa Harding

The needle-holding tray lifts to reveal the interchangeable cables and cable end caps, which are also brown to match the rosewood colour theme. Copper-tinted connectors facilitate a smooth connection between the needles and cables. I don't know if it's just me, but the tinted metal connectors feel somewhat less 'slippery' than the standard metal connectors. 



Also included in the box is a complimentary shawl pin, also with a rosewood-look finish, of course, and adorned with a clear Swarovski(?) crystal at the top end. 




I do still prefer the good mood-inducing bright colours of the original Symfonie wood needles, but there is no denying that this special edition rosewood set is an absolute stunner, especially in its elegant little presentation box. It makes me want to put it on display for everyone to see! And there's no such thing as having too many pairs of knitting needles, right? ;)

After finishing up on the preemies beanies, I started working on a new lace project for myself - Semele by Åsa Tricosa. I am using a fingering-weight, merino 80%/bamboo 20% blend yarn called Drift, by evoke designer yarn and fabric, which I bought once upon a time, at one of those big arts and crafts conventions. This lovely 'raspberry' coloured yarn was hand-dyed by the fibre artist, and then-owner of the Lismore-based shop, Elissa.

Can you guess what kind of item this will become? :)




………………………………………………………………...


….and that's it from that June post! I will follow up soon with a post all about the Semele, which, by the way, I actually did finish knitting last year as well. Meanwhile, in case there are knitter-readers who want to know how I found the Symfonie Rose needles, and if they're exactly like the original Symfonie wood ones, this is what I wrote in my Ravelry Semele project notes last year:

"....I have changed to the Symfonie rose interchangeables that I just received in the mail the other day, because I was having problems with the yarn catching in the needle/cable joins of my usual KnitPro Symfonie ones. However, I am experiencing the same thing with the new ones. It seems to be only the 4mm ones that I’ve had this problem with though - is this perhaps the case with all the larger-sized interchangeables?"

So now I put it back out to you guys - what do you think? Have you encountered similar problems using these needles? 



Sweet yarn dreams x 

No comments:

Post a Comment