Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

So I did end up going to a Korean grocer today, and did see 2 different brands of yuja preserve; but, since my Korean is limited to just being able to read Korean characters, without actually understanding 99% of it, I didn't understand the description and the differences between the two. As such, I decided to leave it for the time being. (Seriously, from watching Korean dramas and listening to Korean music, I've only really learned the words for 'hello', 'goodbye', 'I love you', 'bad man', andddd a sound which means the 'sh-' word. All of which probably won't get me too far if I was lost in Korea.) A Korean friend of mine has volunteered to go with me to some Korean supermarkets when we meet up for lunch next week, so that's the yuja choice problem solved.

I've kept a diary since I was in primary school, and I used to write in it religiously up until I started uni. Diary entries decreased in frequency, and ceased almost altogether a few years ago, when what I saw as my living nightmare started. I was physically unable to keep it up, and then when I was well enough to, I had too many emotions and thoughts going through me, and.. I guess it's just hard to try to recap on all the events that have passed in a reasonable length of time, without sacrificing depth. Since the point of keeping a diary is to record everything as you remember it at a certain point in time, I didn't see the point in doing it anymore, if I wasn't going to be able to do that.

Now where was I going with this? Ah, yes; some where along the lines, I started to read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, by Jeff Kinney. I know, I know, it's a kids' book, but I still find it amusing, and the silly cartoons and childish humour manages to make me laugh. They really are enjoyable reads, when I have nothing else better to do. As an indication of my fan level, I have all the books in the series, both the 'Do-it-yourself' books, the first 2 movies on dvd, and my sister bought me the 'Movie diary' for Christmas. Ok, so maybe I should have kept that to myself, but don't judge me until you've read the books for yourself. Maybe you will enjoy them as much as I do.

Anyway. Despite stopping diary writing for quite some time, during the 'off-time', I still have been buying notebooks that I think would make a suitable diary. My most recent purchase was from Kinokuniya in Sydney:




The front cover caught my eye, and flicking through the book made me laugh out loud.



Every 2 pages, there is a quote designed to inspire your entry/complaint for the day. To top it off, you also get to rate your day at the end of it. Quite the selling point, I must say. Tell me this isn't the coolest diary you've ever seen.


























The Diary of a Wimpy kid has inspired me to start writing again, as has this awesome new diary. Writing is a good creative, as well as emotional, outlet, and I encourage everyone to try this, if you aren't diary-writing already.


















No comments:

Post a Comment